You are not a member of this group. Would you like to join it so that you can participate in it?
Projects funded by the Endowment 2004-2019
2019 Endowment grants total of $13,276.00
Thea Johanos Chair, Mike May, Martha Staff, Monika Day. Mary Pat Ashby
1. $500.00. Music and Worship and Youth. Funds for teacher salaries and dance supplies to create drama dances to embrace our time of transition and the call of a new pastor. Submitted by Pulelehua Quirk.
2. $2,000.00. Capital Improvements/Local Mission. Funds for a new garage door for Angel Network Charities. Submitted by Jewell Tuitele
3. $1,000.00. Local Mission. Funds for transcription services for the PlayBuilders of Hawaii Theater Company, collaborating with domestic abuse survivors on a community-based play tentatively titled the "Bursting Bubbles Project. Submitted by Terri Madden.
4. $500.00. Music and Worship. Funds for two Special Lodge Scholarships to the Calvary by the Sea retreat. Submitted by Kimberly S. Bock.
5. $600.00 Music & Worship. Funds for handbell lights and music stands. Submitted by Tom Poole.
6. $1,850. Local Mission. Funds for furnishing one Homeless Respite Room in urban Honolulu. Submitted by Jack Ashby.
7. $1,926. Local Mission. Funds to provide personal supplies to women as they are released from prison and to buy 30 ELCA prayer books for the prison library and for requested personal copies as part of the WCCC Total Life Recovery Chaplaincy Program. Submitted by Ted Hsia.
8. $1,200. Music & Worship/Education. Funds for craft materials needed to make ribbon leis to be used during worship services. Submitted by Pati Kickland.
9. $1,000. Local Mission. Funds to support YWCA RISE! Job Support Program to empower women to achieve economic independence. Submitted by Susan Winklareth.
10. $700.00. Music & Worship/Education. Funds for two Sound Bath performances and an air purifier for Hale Aloha. Submitted by Brenda Molina.
11. $2,000.00. Youth/Education. Funds for a Tuition Scholarship for Amanda Hutchison. Submitted by Kristia Hutchinson. -Kristia Hutchinson.
2018 Endowment grants
$15,111.00 to be disbursed from the Endowment Fund to supporting the following projects:
2017 Endowment grants
$11,262.68 to be disbursed from the Endowment Fund to supporting the following projects:
$4577.88. Local Mission/Youth. Funding food for classes to strengthen knowledge of healthy eating habits. Addressing obesity in youth in Hawaii. Submitted by Jewell Tuitele.
$1,500. Capital/Music & Worship. Provide a safe and adequate performance space in the sanctuary for the instrumentalists at the top of the choir section. Submitted by Tom Poole.
$3,000. Global Missions/Youth. Student ministry work by , a missionary in Eastern Europe. She has been a full time missionary since 2014, working with Chi Alpha Campus Ministries. Since the dissolution of Chi Alpha, She is working to integrate student leaders into the leadership of the youth program at a local Protestant Church. Submitted by Katie Kam.
$185. Education/Local Mission. Zumba pro skills tuition for training to support our resident Zumba teacher providing free classes for the community. Submitted by Brenda Molina.
$2.000. Youth/Education. Support for Amanda Hutchinson for Lutheran pastor training at Luther Seminary . Submitted by Ken & Kristia Hurchinson.
2016 Endowment grants
2015 Endowment grants
2014 Endowment Funded:
$2,000. Angel Network Charities. Capital project supporting local mission.To fund the purchase of new energy-efficient refrigerators and freezers for the food bank. This will reduce the electrical costs for CBTS to support the food bank, and was recommended by the CBTS Efficiency Committee.
$2,000. Facelift for Hale Aloha. Capital project supporting local missions.This multi-use facility is in need some maintenance, cleaning, painting, lighting. The monies will cover supplies; volunteers from the various groups who use this space will provide the labor.
$1,999. CBTS Youth Director to attend the ELCA National Youth Gathering. Youth. If this funding exceeds the funding needed for the Youth director, surplus funding could go to CBTS youth attending the Gathering. Funds returned to Endowment
$400. CPR training. Education. This covers trainer expenses for 2 sessions of 10 people each. Participants will be encouraged to donate to cover costs thereby funding future training sessions.
$500. Prince of Peace. Local mission. To support the renovation of new premises for our sister church.
$4,425. Purchase 3rd Octave Handbells. Music and Worship. To grow our bell choir and expand their range from low G to high G and low C to high C.
$400. Rotary Pacesetters program. Local Mission. Support program for college students to be mentored by professionals in their chosen career field to find employment opportunities in Hawaii.
Council of Deacons reimbursed $10000 in 2014 for 2004-2013 endowment grants
2009 - 2013 No distributions
1. $1000 Youth to attend CBTS Family retreat at Camp Mokuleia
2. $875 The CBTS Stewardship Gratitude Dinner
2007: $3000 Missionary work of Pastor Qiu vai China Service Ventures.
2006 No distributions
2005 Endowment fund
1. $1500 Music and worship. New, hardbound contemporary Evangelical Lutheran worship Hymnal
2. $3625 Youth. Youth attending Bible camp in the Midwest in summer 2005
Calvary by the Sea Endowment Fund
Approved by Council of Deacons on 4/15/04
To provide vehicles and structure for members who have the desire to benefit Calvary by the Sea Lutheran Church through charitable giving that is consistent with its mission of witnessing to the message of salvation through Jesus Christ on both a local and global level. The Calvary the by Sea Endowment Fund shall provide a perpetual source of income to benefit five current categories:
- Missions: local, regional and world projects.
- Education: training, retreats, college and seminary scholarships
- Youth: support for youth of all ages
- Worship and Music: support for the worship of Calvary by the Sea Lutheran Church
- Capital Projects: major renovations and building of new facilities.
II. Establishment and Operation of the Endowment Committee:
The Endowment Committee shall consist of the Treasurer and 4 other members chosen by the Council of Deacons who shall serve for terms of 3 years and maybe re-elected to serve no more than consecutive 6 years. The Endowment Committee shall meet at least twice a year. All actions taken by the Endowment Committee must be agreed to by a majority of the members In the event of a vacancy on the Endowment Committee prior to the expiration of a member’s term, the Council of Deacons shall fill the vacancy.
III. Duties of the Endowment Committee:
The Endowment Committee is authorized to take the following actions:
- To determine, implement and review procedures and policies for soliciting, processing and disbursing grant requests in accordance with the requirements and guidelines of the Endowment Fund.
- To educate the congregation about the Fund.
- To adopt and implement strategies that promote giving to the Fund.
- To report to the congregation, at least annually, the balance of the Fund, the year s financial activity in the Fund, the amounts and beneficiaries of grants from the Fund.
- To implement guidelines for acceptance of gifts.
- To undertake any other related matters delegated to the Endowment Committee by the Council of Deacons or the membership.
IV. Distributions from the Endowment Fund:
Annually, the Endowment Committee shall recommend to the Council and the Council shall decide the distributions to be made from the Endowment Fund. The aggregate distribution each year shall be up to 4.5% of the current value of the total Endowment Fund without regard to the character of such funds as income, principal, dividends, realized and unrealized gains. Distributions may be used for major projects of Calvary by the Sea Lutheran Church. These projects may be part of the normal operating budget or outside of its scope. There is no obligation to make distributions from the Endowment Fund in any given year.
V. Investment of the Endowment Fund:
It is recommended that the endowment be invested in the ELCA Endowment Fund Pooled Trust Fund A, administered by the ELCA Foundation with the ELCA Board of Pensions acting as investment advisor.
VI. Changes or modifications to the Endowment Fund policy & procedures are recommended by the Endowment Committee for approval by the Council of Deacons.